Mays Landing, New Jersey
The Township of Hamilton in Atlantic County is the largest municipality, in size, in the State of New Jersey: 115 +/- square miles. Hamilton Township combines two elements: rural forest and a growing suburban community. The western three-quarters of the township is rural pine forest protected from dense development by Pinelands Commission restrictions and large preserved tracts of land.
By stark contrast, the eastern quarter has developed as a suburban-like area due to its status as a Pinelands Regional Growth Area (RGA). Mandated to absorb growth fueled by Atlantic City, Hamilton’s RGA now is home to the majority of its over 26,000 residents. It is also home to over 3 million sq feet of first class retail establishments including Hamilton Mall and Consumer Sq. Hamilton offers housing for families, seniors and singles in all price ranges.
The historic village of Mays Landing in Hamilton Township also has the distinction of being the County Seat of Atlantic County since 1837. Hamilton is also home to Atlantic Cape Community College; Atlantic County Institute of Technology; Atlantic County Justice Facility; the County Court Complex; and the main branch of the Atlantic County Library.
Hamilton Township’s origins are directly tied to the Great Egg Harbor River and its tributaries which runs through it. George May, after whom the village of Mays Landing was named, built a shipyard and trading post near Babcock Creek in 1756. By the mid 19th century that Mays Landing reached the height of its shipbuilding. Today, the Great Egg Harbor River and Lake Lenape are recreational resources used by local residents and visitors alike.